This recipe is one of the few that I splurge on and consume a little oil that has been extracted from the food rather than only consuming oils when they are part of their original source. After working for many months at an Asian Bistro, I get cravings for fried tofu. Pan frying allows to you to have a little more control over the oil content in comparison to dunking them in a deep-fryer. Personally I could consume this tofu as is, kind of like chicken nuggets, but I would suggest adding to other dishes like stir-fry, tacos, or pasta.
1 pk Organic Firm Tofu
1/3 c Organic Corn Starch (or other starch of choice)
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or other Non-GMO Oil
- Drain water from package of tofu and set tofu out on a towel to drain for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the tofu has had time to drain, press with towel to force out more of the extra water.
- Cube tofu into small bite-size chunks. I also like the cut diagonally across the cubes creating triangles.
- Heat just enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet or wok over medium to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl toss lightly with starch and seasonings being careful not to break up the tofu.
- Add tofu to the skillet in two batches. If tofu is crowded it is more likely to stick.
- Toss or stir the tofu every 30 seconds to prevent sticking and allow all sides to cook.
- Once the tofu has a slightly golden exterior, transfer to a layer of paper towels to drain.
- Heat a little more oil in the skillet if needed and cook the second batch in the same manor.
- Enjoy with your favorite recipe that calls for tofu.
Yields: 4+ servings
Serving size will vary depending on how the tofu is being consumed. I personally, being a small female, eat smaller portions so I can typically get somewhere between 4-6 servings from one package of tofu though most packages of tofu list on their nutritional labels that they contain somewhere between 3-4 servings.
Calories Per Serving: 292 / Total Fat: 23.4g / Protein: 10.3g / Carbs: 14.3g / Fiber: 1.2g / Sugar: 0.8g